Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Perfect Day at the Fair!

I don't think I have ever gone to the Iowa State Fair and had such perfect weather.  It rained for a while this morning, so we didn't get there until around 11 am.  It wasn't crowded, it wasn't hot!  I couldn't believe it.  I hope I don't ever have to go back to the fair on a weekend again!  Maybe it was the weather.  No matter, this year was a great time at the Fair!  Here are some highlights of our day...

We got Hope the unlimited ride wristband, so we spent most of the first few hours riding.


She had fun, and we got our money's worth.



We also went down the big slide!  Also a tradition every year.  Hope and I screamed really loud!  :)

Here is Hope enjoying her ice cream (I got some homemade Peach ice cream - YUM!)  And showing off her tattoos!


Of course, this year celebrated the 100th year of the butter cow.  Every year, a cow (and other sculptures) are carved out of butter.


Another benefit of it not being busy...we actually went through the "little hands on the farm" exhibit.  The kids follow a path and get to pick veggies, etc.  


Ride tractors...


Milk a cow...


At the end you sell your goods at the farmer's market and get $1 to spend in the store for a small treat.  She chose a popsicle.

Also part of the 100 celebration of the butter cow, there were decorated cows all over the fair grounds.  This one is "dairy" potter.  :)  You know, like Harry Potter.  


Here are a few of Hope's favorites...



And as luck would have it...there was no line to see Clifford, so we walked right up and gave him a hug.  SWEET!


We finished the day off with riding the sky glider up the hill, checked out my scrapbook projects I entered (I got a few ribbons), looked at the sand sculptures...


...and the grand finale was to ride the Ye Old Mill.  This has been a ride my family has rode for many many years.  It isn't exciting, but a tradition none the less.  You float in a boat in the dark, and there are three openings with posters of years past.

We did go visit some of the animals too, where we saw a baby chick come out of its shell, baby sheep, goats, calves and pigs.  There were all very cute, but smelly too.  :)

Now it is time to go wash the smelly off of me too.

Goodnight!

Darla









No comments:

09 10