Sunday, June 29, 2014

A work in progress...

For the past few weeks I have been working on updating my scrapbook room.  I had been looking for fun ideas on Pinterest and there are still a few more projects I will be adding as time allows.  I will be sure to share here as I keep adding things.

I am sharing on the Moxie Fab blog along with a lot of other great scrapbook rooms.  If you are looking to update your creative space check it out.  You will likely find a LOT of great ideas for any size of space.

Here is what it looked like BEFORE (pictures taken about a year ago when we moved in):


The walls were a tan color and my storage boxes were red.


A side note about my furniture...my husband's company was redecorating the executive offices and were selling all the old furniture.  We got a GREAT deal on the credenza, oval desk, credenza and top shelf and the two cabinets on either side.  They are solid and VERY heavy.  So needless to say, I didn't move some of the pieces and just painted around them.  I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon and there is no other way to arrange the room, so I am pretty sure nobody would even know (except that I am telling you now).  Sorry for all you OCD folks out there that this will bother.  LOL!

Hope helped me do some painting too.



And here is the AFTER:

The walls are now a nice soft blue, with glitter sparkles in it.  :)  My accent colors are a coral color.  I originally wanted to have someone make wooden boxes and add knobs to the front so I could pull them out, but I found a lighter version.  I ended up buying paper mache boxes for three of my storage containers, but the spacing didn't quite work out to add two more...SO I ended up painting the canvas storage boxes I already had been using.  As you can see above, they were red.  I painted two thick layers of Gesso onto the red canvas boxes.  When I thought I was going to use wood I had purchased a sample bottle of the coral accent color with my wall paint.  So I painted the boxes with latex wall paint.  I was amazed at how good they turned out.


Of course I added my bottle collection back to the top with a few extra pieces for pops of color.  I will admit that I considered painting the furniture too, but I just wasn't up to the task of all that work.  Maybe in the future.  For now, the wall color change really brightened things up.


For some reason, this wall was difficult to get a good (color) photo.  This was an idea I saw on Pinterest.  I wanted a place to hang my layouts that I have recently completed.  I can switch them out whenever I want to.  I might even take out Christmas's past during the winter, etc.  Joe purchased a cedar board and we hung photo wire across and I just used small clips to hang my layouts.  One idea I have is to make a creative banner to hang above the board.


I am excited to have my sewing machine set up to use.  It had been in there the past year, but the table was sideways because the credenza was over too far.  When we put the furniture back I made sure there was enough room to put the sewing table the correct way.  YEAH!


This is one of my favorite touches so far.  I covered all the visible light and outlet plates with glitter.  It was pretty easy.  I painted the plates with mod podge and while wet, covered with Martha Steward fine glitter.  I let it dry overnight and put on a second coat of mod podge and glitter.  After drying one more  night I added a coat of mod podge to seal the glitter so it wouldn't flake off.  DONE!

I am still in search of a chandelier to replace the existing ceiling light.  I am looking forward to finding just the right piece for my room.  The rest of my house is not "girly" at all, so I had to go a little overboard in MY room.  :)

I also want to get some shelving in my walk in closet (yep my scrapbook room also has one of those for MORE storage of stuff) so I have a good and sturdy place for all my albums.  Right now they are just sitting on two old end tables Joe had in his first house.  LOL!  Someday!  As I said, it is a work in progress...

Well, I will wrap up this post with some fun creative cards...Enjoy!







Darla


No comments:

09 10